Thursday, August 27, 2009
Tuesday, August 25, 2009
Fish taco war #2 happened last Friday. Every taco was delicious and quite different. Mine was a citrus shrimp taco, Maurico's was a ceviche taco and the winner, Jill, went traditional with a beer battered taco. Plus there was a fantastic bean dip that Justin made. Yummmmm!
Obama's Reading List
This morning, White House deputy press secretary Bill Burton shared these selections from the president's reading list during his vacation this week.
"The Way Home," by George Pelecanos
"Hot, Flat and Crowded," by Tom Friedman
"Lush Life," by Richard Price (love this book!)
"Plainsong," by Kent Haruf
"John Adams," by David McCullough
Monday, August 24, 2009
Monday, August 17, 2009
* I am a bit behind on this so bear with me...
-The new beer garden in Fort Greene, Der Schwarze Kolner is open and supposedly quite good although the outdoor area is still under construction.
-The old Barbette on Vanderbilt in Prospect Heights will soon be the new Pequana. Love their plantain and black bean quesadillas.
-Also new on Vanderbilt is Milk Bar, a new breakfast place (via Brownstoner)
-A new fancy hot dog place, Bark on Bergen (near Flatbush) is now open. A friend went to the opening and said they were delicious.
-Everyday on my walk to the subway I see the construction progressing on Cafe Mei Mei, a new restaurant taking over the old spot where Jill's was on Court St.
- Rumor has it that the much beloved pizza joint, Lucali is opening another location in the South Slope (via Brownstoner)
- Both Bonitas (in the Burg and in Fort Greene) are closing, although rumors are that Marlowe & Sons might take over the FG space.
- The Franks (of Prime Meats and Frankies 457) are interviewed about their favorite things on the NYT Moment blog here
Thursday, August 6, 2009
Wednesday, August 5, 2009
Monday, August 3, 2009
A fish taco showdown was had this weekend and it was delicious. I used my standby recipe but this time I also pickled some red onions to go with it which was so easy! I used this recipe from David Lebovitz and it couldn't have taken more than five minutes to whip up. I think my fierce competitor bested me though with his secret sauce of avocado crema. We finished the meal with ice cream sundaes with fresh berries, peaches and cinnamon. I call for a rematch (soon)! More pics here.
Sunday, August 2, 2009
Feeling under the weather and a trip to the west coast has kept me away but now back to regularly scheduled programming...
- ikea catalog circa 1965 (via kottke via ikke)
- Fish taco war #2 happened last Friday. Every taco...
- Obama's Reading List This morning, White House de...
- for some reason, i like rainbow, child-like cakes...
- i kind of cant stop drinking these...
- As with all things Justin Vernon (aka Bon Iver) I...
- (via this isnt happiness)
- Nabe News
- This is my kind of bank: Italian Bank Accepts Parm...
- be still my heart. lyell is making a line for urb...
- this amuses me : skinny girls with big sandwiches....
- A fish taco showdown was had this weekend and i...
- via icanread
- Super cool art by Kevin Dart. More on his site. H...
- As a self admitted Twilight fan, I totally apprec...
- I went to check out the Francis Bacon retrospec...
- Feeling under the weather and a trip to the west c...
- ▼ August (20)
- ► 2008 (151)