Sunday, January 6, 2008

SOUP!

Now Playing :: Born Ruffians- Hummingbird

As part of my 08 health kick off, I have been trying to regularly make soups that I can eat throughout the week. Today I decided to make a butternut squash soup. I used a basic recipe and then added some roasted apples to the blender when I pureed it. Also instead of full fat chicken stock, I used the low sodium, fat free version. It is a hearty and easy soup. I would definitely make it again and using pre cut squash makes it that much easier.

1 butternut squash, peeled
Nutmeg
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Salt and pepper
1 onion, chopped
6 cups chicken stock

Cut squash into 1-inch chunks. In large pot melt butter. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 8 minutes. Add squash and stock. Bring to a simmer and cook until squash is tender. Remove squash chunks with slotted spoon and place in a blender and puree. Return blended squash to pot. Stir and season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper.

No comments: