Monday, October 13, 2008

Recent Restaurant Visits

I have hit a bunch of new restaurants lately or rather new-to-me places.

General Greene (Fort Greene) - I have been wanting to try this place since it got across the board positive reviews and while I didn't hit the dinner menu which has has been much talked- about, I did try the brunch. And it was okay. If I was in the neighborhood and was meeting someone, I would try it again. Not bad but nothing great. The brunch menu is somewhat limited with largely just variations on baked eggs.
Five Leaves (Greenpoint) - After giving it a big thumbs down on my first visit I was persuaded by a friend to try it again for brunch and I am glad I did. The food and service was far better. I went with the Big Breakkie (eggs, toasts, potatoes and two sides of your choice: Avocado & sausage were mine). I would definitely return for brunch, dinner might still give me pause.

Char 4 (Cobble Hill) - This one of my favorite new spots in the hood. I have been here three times since it opened. They have great cocktails and the staff is extremely helpful and friendly. While it might not be the best BBQ you have ever had, it's tasteful upscale BBQ that doesn't disappoint. The scallops were particularly good.

Chavelas (Prospect Heights) - This is another favorite find. Extremely small and quick to fill up, but worth the often short wait. This authentic Mexican restaurant does a great brunch with lots of options, I will definitely be coming back for dinner.


AQ Cafe (Midtown) - I went here with a couple friends last night and it was decent. There isn't much in that area that isn't insanely expensive or just plain bad so it was a nice, quick haven for the in between. An off shoot of Aquavit, the cafe also specializes in Swedish cuisines but sticks closer to sandwiches, soups and salads. The hot meatball sandwich was great.

(Photo courtesy of NY Mag)

No comments: