Monday, December 15, 2008

I have been anticipating this movie since the day I heard it was being made and after seeing the trailers, I was even more excited so it was much to my delight that I was able to attend an early screening of Revolutionary Road last week. The film follows the suburban discontent of a young married couple, played Kate Winslet and Leonard DiCaprio. Based on a book of the same name by Richard Yates and directed by Sam Mendes, the film has the strong vibe of being staged as a play with its limited characters and largely static sets. But with Roger Deakins cinematography, every shot is rendered beautifully. Beyond, its stunning visuals, the acting is top notch (especially supporting actor, Michael Shannon) and overall, this movie stands out above the rest of Oscar bait this season.

I also saw Doubt this past week - I thought I was completely not interested in this movie but decided to go anyways as it seemed like a movie I should see and much to my surprise, I was blown away. Directed and written by John Patrick Shanley, the completely engrossing movie follows the suspicions and potential fallout from one nun's (Meryl Streep) suspicions of the priest (Philip Seymour Hoffman) who heads up their church. I don't want to give too much away as the ambiguity of the story is its beauty along with the tour de force acting by Hoffman and particularly Streep. She definitely acts her way to another Oscar nomination, if not, a win.

No comments: